Friday, March 12, 2010

Brady's Snowshoe Field Trip




Today Brady's class went on a field trip to Grand Targhee. They met up with the Resort Naturalist and went snowshoeing for 4-5 hours, exploring the ecosystem. Brady asked me to be a chaperone, and of course I said "yes!" The day was spent exploring tracks in the snow, scratch marks on trees (raccoons and bears), different types of trees, winter survival techniques for different animals, snow pack conditions (avalanche danger), and the watershed and water cycle. This all complemented what they've studied in the classroom, and the kids were very engaged and curious. We enjoyed a beautiful sunny day, with a picnic lunch along the way. The kids also got to run/roll down a few hills, do some creative jumps off a snowpile, and engage in a class snowball fight. I had fun being a part of this day and witnessing the 4th grade culture. Brady loved having me there and hung out with me more than I expected! I will savor that, knowing that these days are limited. Tonight, after dinner, we watched an episode of The Waltons and both Maggie and Brady snuggled up with me for the whole show. Connor probably would have, too, except that he was asleep within 10 minutes of sitting down!!

The pictures are: the class examining a set of ermine tracks; Brady with his best buds - Alex, James, and Andy; and the class checking out a 500+ year old tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment