Tuesday, August 3, 2010

From Lemons to Lemonade

Sunday night when we got home from the Chukars game, it was pretty late. We were kind of nudging the kids to get ready for bed quickly ... one might say we rushed them a bit! Brady cooperated 100% ... and right after he changed, I said, "Brady, throw those clothes in the laundry, because I'm going to wash a load of clothes tonight."

After we'd tucked them in, I hastily threw a load of laundry into the washer and went to bed. I got up a couple of hours later and decided I should put the clothes in the dryer. Since it was late, I was sensitive to the noise and the dryer was awfully loud ... something clanking around too much. I turned buckles inside out, removed a couple of things that could be hung to dry ... but still clanking. Finally as I grabbed Brady's shorts, I realize something was in his pocket. Much to my dismay, it was his iPod.

Oh good, I found myself in yet another "mother of the year" moment ... I seem to have many of those (is that normal?!). I had one glimmer of hope ... maybe it still works! Maybe it's like Timex ... keeps on ticking!! But, no.

I lost sleep, I dreaded telling Brady, I felt just awful. Normally, I would have shared the responsibility with him for not emptying his pockets, but seriously, I rushed the poor kid into putting those shorts in the laundry. The fault lies with me. Note that after all of this played out, we did talked about shared responsibility and how he does need to empty his pockets before putting clothes in the laundry. He was receptive to that conversation and agreed.

The next day, I did have Corbin check the iPod on his computer ... and there was a moment when we thought ... maybe ... but then, no. I had hopes of getting to the new Apple retailer in Jackson that afternoon, but we didn't make it before they closed. So I came home ready to break the news to Brady.

I told him what happened and he looked perplexed and asked, "So is it ruined?" My response, "Yes, I'm sorry." Pause ... then I say, "Brady, I do plan to replace it." Pause ... then a smile started to come across his face ... and he said, "So Mom, can I get the new iPod with FM Radio and a Video option, if I pay the difference?!"

I said, "Brady, I just handed you a lemon and you made lemonade!"

No comments:

Post a Comment