Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pierre's Hole 50

I've been gearing up for this race all summer.  Last year was the first time it was held and I finished back of the pack.  This year I wanted to better my time.

It is a grueling race that involves two 25 mile laps with over 4,600 of climbing per lap.  The biggest climb is up Bustle Creek Canyon to Ski Hill Road and Targhee Village.

There was a small course change this year.  We started with a small start loop up the lower Teton Valley Trail then took a hard left on the road to top of Shoshone lift.  Then onto the single track trail that drops into the top of Gremlin Gulch and winds back to the base area.  Last year the first leg of the race was into Rick's Basin, this year we started with Mill Creek and finished with Rick's.



I felt good during the start loop and the climb to Lightening Ridge.  I was content riding behind a few people and letting them set the pace.  Only 7 miles into the race on the way down the Mill Creek single track I flatted.  (Last year I flatted in about the same place, but on the second lap.)  After a quick tire change I was back on my bike and still feeling good.  Riding up Ski Hill Road I could see a two people that had passed me while I was changing my flat and started to make up time, slowly. Then after the lookout in into the S-turns of the road I started to feel sick and I slowed down.  My seat angle changed during the Mill Creek descent and I was not feeling comfortable on the bike.  Before descending into Dry Creek I stopped and tried to adjust it, but couldn't get it right.  The descent down Dry Creek went well and at the start of the climb up Bustle Creek I could see other riders again.

Bustle Creek got the best of me.  I started feeling sick again and had a lot of trouble on the climb.  After stopping several times I finally made it back onto Ski Hill Road and struggled back to Targhee Village where I called it a day, only 17 miles into the race.  My first DNF.

I don't know exactly what went wrong.  It was hot.  The 10:15am start was later than I expected but I planned for it.  I was right on track with my fuel and water intake.  I guess it just wasn't my day.  There is always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment