Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Goal is to Finish!






Saturday was a full day for us. I did the Colter Half-Marathon at 8am. Having not trained for that distance, I was skeptical about my prospects but was fairly confident I could finish. I biked down, did the race, and biked home. It wasn't my most shining moment, but I did finish ... and was somewhat close to my goal (which was a good deal off my PR). I was happy afterward.

While I raced, Gary, Sue and the kids took Corb up to Targhee for his 10:15 (ish) am start to the 50 Mile mountain bike race. Corb did train this summer, but his first time on a bike was June 25th, so his goal also was to finish the race, two 25 mile laps - each with an elevation difference of about 4300 feet!

As soon as my race was over I took over for Gary and Sue, and the kids and I "crewed" Corb. His first lap was ahead of schedule, until his chain broke. He was grateful for the assistance of other racers who gave him a chain link and some hints on how to fix it quickly. I was so happy to see him full of energy after overcoming that one technical obstacle. He handled the course and the heat well. We proudly cheered for him throughout the race, and Maggie rewarded him with a huge hug and kiss at the finish line. I was relieved and impressed by how quickly he recovered after the race.

We had to do a pretty fast turnaround at home in order to make it to the Figure 8 Races at the fairgrounds. Corbin was a "lap counter" last year and when asked to do it again, happily accepted. When we realized that everything was the same day, I was not sure we could do it all ... but Corbin rallied and we did it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment